Re: Summary: Naming Issue, Proposals

Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:

> since the technical recommendation we are working on currently
> is assumed to be the last iteration of HTML, i propose that we
> call it Canonical HTML, and leave numbering out of it altogether
> (unless, someday, we issue Canonical HTML 1.1 to incorporate
> corrections, errata, etc.

I object against calling it canonical HTML. Let's not repeat past
mistakes. In 1999 W3C announced that HTML 4.01 is the latest version of
HTML ever published. All new development will be done on XHTML branch.
Now 8 years later we are working on, hmmm what a surprise, HTML 5.

> PRECEDENTS:
>
> Canonical XML 1.0
>   * http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-c14n
>
> Cononical XML 1.1
>   * http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-c14n11/

Thanks, but these are counter-precedents. XML C14N defines one very
normalized form of serialization which can be used if you want to
compare documents that might have differences only in a syntax sugar
(insignificant whitespaces, attribute order, ...), but their content is
the same. In this sense HTML5 is less canonical then HTML 4.01 because
it has much more relaxed syntax.

		Jirka

Be in, register for XML Prague 2007 today! http://www.xmlprague.cz