Re: Author-friendlier definition of <object> (was Re: fear of "invisible metadata")

From: scott lewis <sfl@scotfl.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 05:47:53 -0600
To: HTML Working Group <public-html@w3.org>

On 28 Jun 2007, at 0448, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

> At 04:39 -0600 UTC, on 2007-06-28, scott lewis wrote:
>
>> On 28 Jun 2007, at 0354, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:
>>
>>> At 14:40 +0300 UTC, on 2007-06-27, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> ["browsing context" vs "web page"]

>>> For the life of me I cannot find that.
>>
>> 4.1. Browsing contexts
>
> [...]
>
> Where does it say "web page"; what that is?

"Web Page" in this discussion could be interpreted as equivalent to a
Document. The spec does not give a precise definition of "web page".
However, that is not necessarily a flaw in the spec as the term "web
page" is not used in the definition of the <object> element, which is
the topic of this thread. A "browsing context" consists (basically)
of a History and a View. The History contains a list of previously-
viewed HTML Documents (aka web pages) and other media the browser is
willing to display. The View is, essentially, the content are of the
browser window.

Thus, the difference between a "web page" and a "browsing context" is
that a web page is a single resource and a browsing context is a
mechanism for viewing multiple resources.

scott.