Re: HTML 5 removed "numeric character reference" term - why?

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 22:25:25 +1000
To: Simon Pieters <zcorpan@gmail.com>
CC: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Mike Brown <mike@skew.org>, David Håsäther <hasather@gmail.com>, public-html@w3.org

Simon Pieters wrote:
> In my experience with discussing with authors, the most common name to
> refer to all three types of character escapes is "entities". The
> qualified de facto names are "named entities", "decimal entities", and
> "hexadecimal entities".

I object to the use of the term entities on the grounds that entities
are very specific things in SGML and XML, and they are still used for
XML today.  I don't think the spec should promote the misuse of terms.

I think all 3 types should be called character references.  If there is
a need to distinguish between them, then you qualify the terms using
using the appropriate prefix from this list:

* Character Reference (all types)
   * Named Character Reference (&nbsp;)
   * Numeric Character Reference (both types)
     - Hex Character Reference (&#xA0;)
     - Decimal Character Reference (&#160;)

--
Lachlan Hunt