Re: [Spam] Re: More on <CAPTION> element etc

From: Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:15:31 +1000
To: "Maurice Carey" <maurice@thymeonline.com>
Cc: "HTML Working Group" <public-html@w3.org>

On 6/22/07, Maurice Carey <maurice@thymeonline.com> wrote:
> Agents be updated to know to always say the <caption> value before whatever
> else is in the figure.

<caption> belongs inside of <table> so that's already catered for.
<figure> might be a good way of associating extra descriptions with
the table, rather than interfering with the established use of
@summary.

> Would be nice if the user agents could automate the numbering of figures or
> if it could be accomplished in CSS.

The CSS part is done: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html#counters
It's not implemented widely enough to be reliable yet (imo).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_layout_engines_(CSS)
(search page for "counter")

> For those of you who don't already do this, you should always look at a well
> designed Book whenever you've got some HTML or CSS thoughts bouncing around
> in your head that you can't make up your mind about.
>
> I'm sure a good Book had something to do with the choice of keeping <hr />
> :)

Agreed. If you can get your hands on a good "manual of style" they're
very helpful too!