Re: fear of "invisible metadata"

On Jun 21, 2007, at 2:54 PM, Joshue O Connor wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> Once again I cite <http://flickr.com/photos/othermaciej/>.
>> The images in there are all very much meaningful (they are the
>> point of the page) but it's hard to imagine useful alternative text.
>
> There are many other cases where alternate descriptions are very much
> needed (no disrespect Maciej, some of your meals looked nice) and it
> many instances the delivery method already exists, like alt etc.

Sure, and existence of the alt attribute makes it possible to add
them when needed.

> The problem that you seem be indicating is the difficulty in
> writing *good* alt text.

Not just "good", sometimes there's no alt text that could be added
which would help accessibility, and yet it would be wrong to consider
the image as purely decorative and semantically null. That's all I'm
saying. There should be a way to mark up an image as being meaningful
but having no alternative text.

Regards,
Maciej