Re: minor copy edits needed in HTML 5 draft (control over /TR/html5/ )

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:58:53 +0000 (UTC)
To: Mike Brown <mike@skew.org>
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Mike Brown wrote:

> Actually the request is for the spec's own hyperlink to the latest
> version not produce an HTTP 404 response, and actually return the latest
> version of the spec. How that is accomplished is up to you :)

The link in version in the CVS repository that claims to link to the
latest version can't ever point to the latest version, sadly. This is
because the W3C's publication rules require the "Latest Version" link to
point to the /TR/ page without a date, and the /TR/ page is always going
to be older than the CVS version. (I could change the CVS version so that
it doesn't match the publication rules, but then it would be a pain for
all involved every time we published the spec.)

(If you just want to see the spec without the broken "latest version"
link, you can look at the WHATWG version (http://whatwg.org/html5) -- it's
identical byte-for-byte from the table of contents to the bottom.)