Re: fear of "invisible metadata" [was Re: retention of summary attribute for TABLE element]

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 23:08:48 +0100
To: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

>> you wouldn't deprecate ALT or LONGDESC would you
>
> Actually, longdesc is not included in the current draft of HTML5. Are there a non-negligible number of sites that actually use longdesc in a useful way?

For what its worth, I am not sure how useful LONGDESC actually is. In
over two years of extensive user testing and my own work/research with
my blind and visually impaired colleagues I have vary rarely (if ever)
come across it. That not to say that it is not useful in its own right,
I just haven't seen it.

Josh