Re: fear of "invisible metadata"

Laura Carlson wrote:
> A summary would "break" this transparency by calling attention
> to the table. A null summary (summary="") on layout tables is
> acceptable.

Thanks for that Laura. I didn't know that the summary attribute also
accepted a null value. I guess that by giving a table a null value the
UA (screen reader) will still be able to 'see' the table. Giving
graphics null alt="" values effectively removes them from the screen
reader output. Could this be useful with tables that may or may not be
of use to a screen reader user if use of the null summary value did the
same?

Or does it already? Have I stumbled across some hitherto unknown (to me
anyway) feature of HTML? Or would it be a good idea for HTML 5?

Hmm :-)

Josh