Re: Allow other doctypes

From: Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:41:23 +1000
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "Ben 'Cerbera' Millard" <cerbera@projectcerbera.com>, HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>, "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@iki.fi>

> Conforming HTML4 and XHTML1 docs will not become non-conforming HTML4 and
> XHTML1 docs. They'll remain conforming HTML4 and XHTML1 docs. They won't
> be conforming HTML5 docs because they aren't HTML5 docs in the first
> place. I don't see this as a problem.

Absolutely. Doctype is the only way I (as an author) know of to
indicate my intentions to a UA.

For example, if I want a document treated as HTML 4.01 Strict I would
indicate this with:

Likewise XHTML 1.0 Strict:

And I can indicate HTML5 using: <!DOCTYPE HTML>
(This looks to me like it will cause problems beyond HTML5 ... how are
we going to indicate documents are HTML5 or HTML6 or HTML* if they
only say "DOCTYPE HTML" ?)

UAs are going to honour this right? They are not going to start
treating anything with <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C ... (etc) as
HTML5, are they?

I am also curious how HTML5 documents are handled in UAs that don't
understand HTML5. This is my primary interest in "backwards
compatibility" because the day I start producing documents using HTML5
it will be the #1 issue to deal with. Mostly because we'll be waiting
years until browsers are updated (think of all those organisations
that mandate a corporate browser for all staff... they resist
upgrading! ;)

I intend to do some testing with HTML5 backwards compatibility soon
(so I guess I'll be flagging documents with "<!DOCTYPE HTML>") on
sites where there's no risk if things go horribly wrong (no different
to deciding to use application/xhtml+xml on a private site I think).
I'd encourage all authors to do this ... start using HTML5 today where
you can! That'll show us where the issues (for authors) are.