Re: What is a "state"?

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:07:00 +0300
Cc: "Henrik Dvergsdal" <henrik.dvergsdal@hibo.no>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>

On Jun 15, 2007, at 04:11, Ben Boyle wrote:

> If so... The concept of default values goes way back into DTDs (and I
> suspect SGML). It's pretty standard practice to define defaults when
> defining a language I think. It's expected.

HTML5 does not do SGML-style attribute defaulting because real
browsers don't do it. That is, if you examine the DOM with the DOM
Core methods, you don't get spec-defined default value when an
attribute is absent or has an unrecognized value.

The default state says what state the UA is required to assume when
the attribute is absent or has an unrecognized value. This does not
change the value in the DOM.

It has to be this way for compatibility with real-world implementations.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi