Re: HTML 5 and conformance checkers

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:55:23 -0500
To: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 15:22 +0900, Karl Dubost wrote:

> Le 14 juin 2007 à 14:16, Henri Sivonen a écrit :
> > The applicable conformance criteria are [machine-checkable]
> > criteria for document conformance both in the spec itself and in
> > normatively referenced other specs.
>
> Yes on the same line here. My trouble is what is [machine-checkable].
> I see possible discussion on people argueing on what is automatically
> checkable or not.

While people might disagree, the question of what is machine
checkable is settled, to my satisfaction. It's science,
not art/law/politics.

"all ordinary computers are equivalent to each other in terms of
theoretical computational power, and it is not possible to build a
calculation device that is more powerful than the simplest computer (a
Turing machine). Note that this formulation of power disregards
practical factors such as speed or memory capacity; it considers all
that is theoretically possible, given unlimited time and memory."
  -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_Turing_Thesis