Re: Do we need the restrictions on the <base> element?

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 01:27:55 -0500
To: Henrik Dvergsdal <henrik.dvergsdal@hibo.no>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

Henrik Dvergsdal wrote:
>> Doing that is not compatible with the way <script> elements need to be
>> handled.  So it's not an option.
>
> This seems to me a rather artificial limitation.

Welcome to the world of document.write.

> Isn't it possible to do a preparatory parse, just to determine the base
> (and the charset) and then reiterate and do the actual work - parsing
> text, downloading/starting scripts etc?

If you allow <base> anywhere, it can be dynamically inserted using
document.write, for example...

> I think UA's have to do this anyway in order to support existing
> content.

Right now UAs effectively allow different content in the document to have
different base URIs at different times. E.g. if you have a <base> tag after some
<script> tags, those script tags have one base URI, while things after the
<base> have a different base URI.  It's pretty confusing behavior, really.  And
relied on by pages, for what it's worth.

-Boris