Re: Why HTML should be taught as HTML without pretending it is XML

On Jul 18, 2007, at 06:20, Karl Dubost wrote:

> 	- for Professional to have a strict way of authoring which
> benefits the industry
> If Web designers say, we will come up with an HTML 5 profile that
> we consider needed for our activity, it can perfectly become an
> "HTML 5 profile for Web pro" specification for this market.

I'm curious, though, what the actual benefit would be for the
industry. It isn't nice to (implicitly) ask people to jump through
additional hoops in order to be considered a "Web pro" if those
additional hoops don't have a technical effect.

Would the profile be something that a source code pretty-printer
would produce or something that conformance checkers would be
expected to check? I mean: If you write Java, you can standardize on
an indent style but generally people don't expect to have programs
that check if the indent style is being adhered to but instead people
are expected to use a feature in an IDE that automatically reindents
the source consistently according to the chosen indent style.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi