Re: Why HTML should be taught as HTML without pretending it is XML

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:57:36 +1000
To: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
CC: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>

Karl Dubost wrote:
> If Web designers say, we will come up with an HTML 5 profile that we
> consider needed for our activity, it can perfectly become an "HTML 5
> profile for Web pro" specification for this market. I would say that Web
> Designers on the list have to organize themselves and propose a profile
> which is compatible with HTML 5 and can be a subset in the syntactic
> rules.  It can be a different document.

In general, I don't have a problem with coding conventions.  They exist
for a variety of other languages, such as C++, Java, PHP, etc. and even
Canonical XML exists for XML.  Perhaps it would be useful to produce a
Canonical HTML specification.

However, I would recommend that if such a document is produced, all
guidelines should ideally be backed up with good justification, and not
simply be a matter of personal opinion.  For example, I would object to
a guideline that required trailing slashes for empty elements since the
only valid justification for it is based on personal preferences.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/