Re: Why HTML should be taught as HTML without pretending it is XML

Le 17 juil. 2007 à 23:41, Henri Sivonen a écrit :
> That's why I think people who are learning HTML are better served
> by being told the truth about the ugliness of HTML instead of given
> a more convenient story that it is like XML.

Henri: Don't make the conformance requirements
        for syntax too strict. (I'm the developer
        of a conformance who will have to deal with
        the community)
Ben:   Give Web Pro authors recommendations, guidance
        on writing a common syntax. (I'm an Web Developer
        who has to work with others. Stricter markup makes
        my work easier.)

Basically you are discussing two different things which could have
overlaps.

>> It works for me. I don't expect it to work for everyone, but we
>> have a
>> choice and that's good.
>
> Indeed. Part of the point I'm trying to make is that it is OK for
> people never to omit tags or quotes around attributes values, but
> it would be nice if in discussions about conformance people
> tolerated the spec keeping these things conforming for other people
> who have a different sense of source aesthetics.

I would say it is ok
	- for browsers to recover bad markups
	- for Common authors to not be beaten on the fingers for every details
	- for Professional to have a strict way of authoring which benefits
the industry

None of these are incompatible. It is a question of context. Teaching
certain practices about HTML is happening in a *context*. Not a
binary world. All of that are handled usually by profiles (mandatory
or not.) A specification is usually the expression of needs of a market.

If Web designers say, we will come up with an HTML 5 profile that we
consider needed for our activity, it can perfectly become an "HTML 5
profile for Web pro" specification for this market. I would say that
Web Designers on the list have to organize themselves and propose a
profile which is compatible with HTML 5 and can be a subset in the
syntactic rules.  It can be a different document.

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***