Re: html5 syntax - why not use xml syntax?

From: Philip TAYLOR <Philip-and-LeKhanh@Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 15:47:33 +0100
To: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>
CC: Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>, Mynthon Gmail <mynthon1@gmail.com>, public-html@w3.org

Robert Burns wrote:

> On Jul 7, 2007, at 6:26 AM, Ben Boyle wrote:

>> I have noticed the W3C HTML validator is confused by <link ... /> and
>
> I would agree: validator bug.

No bug (this needs to be said very clearly).  The validator
compares the document [1] with the DTD specified in the DOCTYPE
directive, and finds bare character data.  It goes on to
explain :

	> Mistakes that can cause this error
	> include putting text directly in the
	> body of the document

and that is effectively what the author has done, since
the "/" closed the <link> tag and the following ">"
closed the <head> element.  Note that the diagnostic
is effectively identical to that produced by the very
example that the validator cites [2].

Philip Taylor
--------
[1] http://www.rhul.ac.uk/resources/Demo-documents/NET.html