Re: html5 syntax - why not use xml syntax?

From: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 09:25:26 -0500
Cc: "Mynthon Gmail" <mynthon1@gmail.com>, public-html@w3.org
To: Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>

Hi Ben,

Looking at your question again:

On Jul 7, 2007, at 6:26 AM, Ben Boyle wrote:

> Isn't it possible to have compatible syntax already?
> Is there any XHTML syntax that is invalid in a HTML document?

I know of no UAs where there's a problem. Validators may flag it, but
its probably better to consider it a validator issue than anything
invalid.

> Do any of these cause problems in HTML? Is this valid?
> <input type="radio" name="foo" value="bar" checked="checked"/>

Again, no UAs that I'm aware of.

> What about <?xml prolog, @xmlns, @xml:lang?

IIRC, prolog throws IE6 and IE5 into quirks mode. @xmlns:* and
@xml:lang should likely be ignored as unknown attributes in most UAs.
Though there's nothing to stop us from adding them in HTML5
conforming UAs.

> I have noticed the W3C HTML validator is confused by <link ... /> and

I would agree: validator bug.

Take care,
Rob