Re: html5 syntax - why not use xml syntax?

From: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 04:50:32 -0500
Cc: public-html@w3.org
To: Mynthon Gmail <mynthon1@gmail.com>

On Jul 7, 2007, at 3:59 AM, Mynthon Gmail wrote:
> My idea is to have compatible syntax, but xhtml is xhtml with its
> own parse and html is html with its own parser. Only syntax is
> unified.

That does seem like the right thing to do for authoring conformance.
I have a hard tim thinking of any cons for that. Of course there
would still be HTML 4.0,1 HTML 4, HTML 3.2, etc.  all handled by the
same HTML parser  along with HTML5. But its hard for me to think of
downsides to just requiring of authors a very XML-like syntax for
HTML5's non-SGML / non-XML serialization. We would still need to deal
with issues of implied elements (e.g., <colgroup> and <tbody>) and
perhaps some escaping issues when moving between XML and HTML5
serializations.

What do other think about this proposal?

Take care,
Rob