Re: [W3C docs] We should teach by example.

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 21:31 +0200, gonchuki wrote:
> On 7/6/07, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:

> > > what I mean with accessibility on this issue is that we must ensure
> > > that the source code is viewable and understandable to any disabled
> > > person, be it that she has low vision or focus/attention disorders.
> >
> > You made that claim before. Repeating it doesn't make it any more true
> > or convincing. If you have evidence or justification to back it,
> > please share it. Otherwise this is just a matter of personal preference,
> > i.e. editorial judgement. You're welcome to share such advice, but
> > the editors are under no obligation to do anything with it.
> >
> > "must" is a strong word; don't just throw it around lightly.
> >
> > --
> > Dan Connolly, W3C http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/
> >

> I'm sorry but i'm not repeating myself,

Perhaps the words are different, but the claims look very similar.

>  as for your questions and
> others it was apparent that you were thinking on accessibility through
> a User Agent and not via direct editing of the source.

As far as I know, you're not editing the source; you're reading
the source. If you prefer a particular line
breaking convention, I'm confident you can find tools to present
the source using those conventions.

>  I see it
> perfectly justified to ask for human readable source code being that
> HTML is supposed to be able to be generated by any person.

Supposed by whom? If you have a source for that premise, please cite it.
Otherwise, it is yet another opinion of yours.

And the connection is tenuous at best; even if we stipulate that
HTML should be simple enough that a large community of authors should
be able to produce it, that doesn't mean that every HTML document
should be produced by hand, or even that every _good_ HTML document
should be produced by hand, or even that every good HTML document
should be formatted for easy editing by hand.

> "must" is a strong word yes, as strong as our commitment  for equal
> accessibility for everyone, and I guess we as a group don't think that
> accessibility is just "a matter of personal preference".

You have yet to establish that the formatting of the source has
any beneficial impact on accessibility.