Re: Neutrality in "HTML 5 differences from HTML 4"

From: Philip Taylor (Webmaster) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 15:22:25 +0100
To: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
CC: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>

James Graham wrote:

> I am concerned that this working group may quickly gain a reputation for
> being dysfunctional if we are not able to produce any deliverables. If
> publishing a simple factual precis of the differences between HTML4 and
> the current HTML 5 draft is this hard, I cannot imagine the working
> group will ever agree on something substantial like publishing an actual
> spec.

I think that is a very realistic appraisal, and not one that
fills me with unmitigated horror.  At the moment, I simply
cannot see HTML 5 [1] as a step forward; a step sideways, yes --
in some ways better than HTML 4.01, in some ways poorer.

But if we cannot agree a specification that 98.5%+ of us agree
is indisputably /better/ than HTML 4.01, then in my honest
opinion it is better that we publish nothing.

Philip Taylor
--------
[1] As currently proposed, and as currently
     derivable from information in the "Differences
     from HTML 4.01" document.