Re: LONGDESC: some current problems and a proposed solution added to the wiki

Peter Krantz wrote:

> Ok, I was assuming that readers of this thread could imagine some
> other scenario. Let's change the example to make it more realistic:
>
> <picture src="http://homepage.floodcity.net/users/mastdog/ezrachurch.jpg">
> city of Atlanta.</p>
> set up.</p>

The first two <p>s would better have been *<sentence>s, if
such an element existed.  The last is not even that, and
would need to be a *<phrase> (all off-topic, of course,
but I do think it's helpful if example markup is not so
obviously flawed that one feels the urge to respond to it
before responding to the point in question).

> In my opinion this counts as reasonable fallback content for the
> linked picture. And, it isn't unreasonable to assume that this content
> would be valuable for all visitors to the page as would be the case
> for many other images that desribe more complex scenarios than a flag.

Why would a blind person want to hear (is  there were a sense-neutral
verb one that one can use in place of "see" and "hear" ?) the same
prose twice, once as mainstream copy and once as fallback text?

I think there /is/ an important point here, but it's simply
not coming across.  The real point at issue here is, I think,
"How is someone with visual impairment to know that two
elements on a page bear a relationship to each other,
and if so, what that relationship is ?".  I think this is
a pretty important issue in its own right, and is only
obfuscated by examples predicated on "fallback" material
that is actually mainstream.

Philip Taylor