Re: Examples for recommending alt omission needed for testing

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:18:01 +1000
To: Steve Faulkner <sfaulkner@paciellogroup.com>
CC: HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>

Steve Faulkner wrote:
> Can anyone provide examples of where the recommendation to omit the alt
> attribute would apply?
>
> Please provide public URLs so that UA testing and user testing can be
> conducted..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rorschach_inkblot_test

That's the source of one of the examples in the spec, where it's claimed
that "Sometimes there simply is no text that can do justice to an image".

http://icanhascheezburger.com/

Sometimes they use alt="filename.jpg" and other times they use the
image's caption.  Using the caption is at least reasonable, but there
seems to be no benefit for the ones that repeat the file name.  I don't
know why they don't use the caption for all of them.

e.g. This one uses the file name: alt="128296214217657500imonurrefrig.jpg"
http://icanhascheezburger.com/2007/08/30/im-on-ur-refrigemater-monitorin-ur-calorie-intakez/

This one uses the caption: alt="Strong is The Force With Yoda Cat"
http://icanhascheezburger.com/2007/08/30/strong-is-the-force-with-yoda-cat/

Compare that with this lolcat site that does omit the alt attribute.

http://lolcat.com/

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/