Re: Examples for recommending alt omission needed for testing

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:18:01 +1000
To: Steve Faulkner <sfaulkner@paciellogroup.com>
CC: HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>

Steve Faulkner wrote:
> Can anyone provide examples of where the recommendation to omit the alt
> attribute would apply?
> Please provide public URLs so that UA testing and user testing can be
> conducted..

That's the source of one of the examples in the spec, where it's claimed
that "Sometimes there simply is no text that can do justice to an image".

Sometimes they use alt="filename.jpg" and other times they use the
image's caption.  Using the caption is at least reasonable, but there
seems to be no benefit for the ones that repeat the file name.  I don't
know why they don't use the caption for all of them.

e.g. This one uses the file name: alt="128296214217657500imonurrefrig.jpg"

This one uses the caption: alt="Strong is The Force With Yoda Cat"

Compare that with this lolcat site that does omit the alt attribute.

Lachlan Hunt