Re: review of content type rules by IETF/HTTP community

From: Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:05:03 +0200
To: public-html@w3.org

2007/8/29, Robert Burns:

> 1) what does IIS do in its default configuration when it cannot
> determine a file's type?

Up to (and including) version 5: application/octet-stream (wildcard catch-all)
Starting with version 6: 404 (Not Found), except if you add a wildcard rule.

> 2) is there any way to change the configuration to send no content-
> type header at all when it cannot determine a file's type?

No.

> 3) how is it configured by default to send content-type headers for
> files with no filename extension?

I suppose the wildcard catch-all is the only option (so see above for
the default behavior); I haven't found any other configuration option.
I suppose you can also define a "Content Type" REG_SZ value in the
Windows registry for the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\* key, but this also
applies to all unknown extensions.

> 4) can one configure it to send a particular content-type header for
> files with no filename extension?

No (or I missed it; see above)

> There is a wiki page on this, so you could add the results of these
> questions somewhere there (or reply here).
>
> <http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ContentTypeIssues>

Updated.

--
Thomas Broyer