Re: An open letter to Anne van Kesteren

From: Michael A. Puls II <shadow2531@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 20:25:35 -0400
To: "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk>
Cc: public-html <public-html@w3.org>

On 8/23/07, Philip Taylor (Webmaster) <P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
> Anne, I happened to be reading your web site today,
> and I was disturbed to find the following :
> > <input usemap>
> > [...]
>  > Ian Hickson made two data sets available: 1, 2. Looking through
>  > several sites quickly reveals that most expect the image control
>  > to act as a submit button (this is how it works in Internet
>  > Explorer) and not as an image map at all (how it works in
>  > Opera and Firefox). As a result, HTML5 dropped the feature.
> Given that this group has not even agreed the Design Principles
> yet, let alone started to make firm decisions concerning the
> HTML 5 Specification, is it not somewhat irresponsible of you
> to make a public statement that a certain feature has been
> dropped from HTML 5 ?

I'm fine with Anne's comments on his site. <input usemap> was indeed
dropped from the *draft*. It may go back in or may not, but his
comments were not inaccurate.

To me, it was a comment on a changelog and nothing definite.

I guess there could be an explicit disclaimer that could be used that
says things may change, but I think that's implied by the fact that
HTML5 isn't even closed to finished yet. The disclaimer could even go
on the tracking page if really necessary.