Re: <object> content-type sniffing (detailed review of Semantics)

From: Sander Tekelenburg <st@isoc.nl>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:45:00 +0200
To: <public-html@w3.org>

At 15:55 +0200 UTC, on 2007-08-23, Simon Pieters wrote:

> The spec says about <object>:
>
>       4. Determine the resource type, as follows:
>
>          Big Issue: This says to trust the type. Should we instead use
>          the same mechanism as for browsing contexts?
>
> I've done some ad-hoc testing. (See these test cases as demos -- I'm not
> entirely sure the pass conditions are actually according to the current
> spec...) It seems that some sniffing is happening in browsers.

Yeah, and 'unsniffing' too. See my old <object> test, at
<http://santek.no-ip.org/~st/tests/object/>. All three images are the exact
same PNG, served with Content-Type: image/png. Yet with @type="image/*" both
Firefox and Safari don't present the image. Safari presents the fallback,
Firefox presents nothing.

Is this a simple bug, or by design? I thought the sniffing is done because
http content-type isn't trusted. But this seems to be a case where @type is
trusted more than http content-type; even so much more that apparently no
snniffing takes place.

--
Sander Tekelenburg