Re: [HDP] Response to Review of HTML Design Principles Questionnaire

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 17:32:40 +0200
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
CC: public-html <public-html@w3.org>

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>> A cowpath is a sign that many people want to achieve something. But
>> just paving it may be the wrong solution.
>
> That comment doesn't make sense.  The first sentence correctly describes
> the concept of a cowpath, but the second sentence seems to miss the
> point.  Paving the cowpathts is just about addressing existing use cases
> and practices using whatever the best solution is, not necessarily the
> existing solution.

Well, I think it does.

What I wanted to say is that it may be better not to pave the cowpath,
but to pave something nearby (solving the same problem, but not
necessarily exactly the same way) -- for instance because paving it
as-is may be in conflict with other design principles (accessibility,
I18N, security...).

Hope this clarifies it...

Best regards, Julian