Re: [HDP] Response to Review of HTML Design Principles Questionnaire

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Joshue O Connor claimed:
>> For example accessibility and security are two forces (sic) that could be at logger heads. In many ways they are opposing principles. How can we make the web more accessible while still making it more secure? How can they be reconsiled? Which one will get the bums rush when the chips are down?
>
> I'm not sure what he's basing that claim on, I can't imagine how any security or privacy issue could affect accessibility.

Secure PDFs? [1] Off the top of my head, though its not as bad as it
was. However, it is not disingenuous to suggest that there is at least
some tension between security needs and accessibility needs.

> Ideally, however, features would be both secure and accessible and that scenario would never occur.

Yes.

> But, even hypothetically, if it comes down to deciding on a feature that could seriously compromise the security of users for the benefit of accessibility, security wins and accessibility would have to be addressed in another way.

Can you realistically see " a feature that could seriously compromise
the security of users for the benefit of accessibility" even getting off
the drawing board?  In the real world there is potential for
accessibility features to be compromised by the needs of security
implementations and security needs can take precedence over
accessibility requirements. It is important that any principle regarding
security is explicit about not compromising accessibility, or in the
broader sense, usability and the user experience.

[1] http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pub.asp?DocID=aw060604