Re: (Un)Ordered lists

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:20:07 +0200
To: "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk>, "Geoffrey Sneddon" <foolistbar@googlemail.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:51:20 +0200, Philip Taylor (Webmaster)
<P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote:

> Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
>>  The definition for |ol| and |ul| says that they represent an "ordered
>> list of items" and an "unordered list of items". It doesn't say in what
>> way they are ordered. Should the definition be refined to something
>> like "A list where the order of the items has meaning."?
>
> How is that better than "an ordered list" ?  The latter is idiomatic,
> widely used and widely understood; your re-casting may be preferable
> in terms of Basic English, but I am not convinced that technical
> specifications can or should be expressed in B.E.

The distinction is that <ol> isn't necessarily appropriate just because
the items come in a particular order. They may for instance be sorted
alphabetically but the order doesn't actually matter. I think the spec
needs to be clearer on this point.

http://www.autisticcuckoo.net/archive.php?id=2007/08/07/lists discusses
this issue.

--