Re: review of content type rules by IETF/HTTP community (new thread?)

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:46:41 -0400
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
CC: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>

Dan Connolly wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 16:57 -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> [...]
>> Unfortunately, based on the quick list I gathered below, there is a
>> competitive advantage to be gained by ignoring the spec as it currently
>> stands.
> [...]
>
> Is this feedback on the Internet Draft-to-be?
>   http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/html5/cts/

I believe so.  That document suggests that "text/plain" is
authoritative.  That does not appear to be the behavior of current
browsers, and as much as I would like them to, I have my doubts that
browsers will change their sniffing of feeds to conform to this standard
as there are a large number of pre-existing feeds for which "better"
results can be obtained by ignoring this standard.

- Sam Ruby