From: public-html-request@w3.org [mailto:public-html-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Maurice Carey
Sent: 20 August 2007 16:13
To: HTML Working Group
Subject: Re: Placeholder Text for Text Boxes

Also, is there, or is there going to be a way to indicate that an
element should be invisible for sighted users but any text in that
element should still be read for screen readers?

For example:
For a design where I have to put the text "username" and "password"
inside the input since there was no space to have a proper <label> I'd
like to be able to have put a proper label for the benefit of blind
users but still have it display:none for sighted users since they'll be
able to see the text inside the input. I may have the text "username"
and "password" appear by using background images in the <input> since
"password" in a password input looks like "********"
--
::   thyme online ltd
::   po box cb13650  nassau  the bahamas