Re: review of content type rules by IETF/HTTP community

Dan Connolly wrote:
> Indeed, early review feedback[Fielding07] suggests I
> should cite/excerpt more of the background that I had in mind
> before sending this out for wider review.

I think it's clear that this is a point where theory and current
practice do not match. Also, the situation might be much better if at
least some of the browsers would allow the user to opt-out of content
sniffing, as RoyF suggested multiple times.

Documenting what User Agents do today with respect to sniffing is
certainly a good idea. What's not clear to me is why this needs to be
part of the HTML5 activity. If the browser vendors want a common spec
summarizing what their products need to do today, fine. But why does
this have to be part of HTML5?

Best regards, Julian