Re: using an attribute to categorize the @alt state [was Baby Steps or Backwards Steps?]

On Aug 20, 2007, at 3:38 AM, Olivier GENDRIN wrote:

> On 8/19/07, Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com> wrote:
>> Adding the @embedrel attribute provides
>> benefits. That's why I'm proposing it. The point of converting
>> the document in this case would be to add the richer information
>> included in the embedrel attribute.
>
> Why not use @role instead of creating a new attribute ?

That has been suggested. I'm exploring that possibility right now and
working on drafting a proposal.  It would work especially well if we
can intervene in the current @role working draft to add the needed
keywords to the namespace. That way we could even adopt the @role
namespace as our own in HTML5 in one way or another. The keywords I'm
leaning toward now are 'icon', 'decorative', 'illustration',
'meaningful' and possibly '_undefined' or something to make it stand
out from the others..

I think the embedrel DOM attribute might still be useful, though it
would return a string value based on the contents of the @role
attribute.

Take care,
Rob