Re: Research needs tracking

Hi Dan,

On Aug 15, 2007, at 12:51 PM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 03:20 -0500, Robert Burns wrote:
>>
>> As an example of members who may be able to help with the research I
>> want to highlight and again thank Josh for offering to do user-
>> accessibility testing, if that need arises.
>>
>> Also I meant to include th link to the new research tracking wiki
>> page
>> [2].
>
> I'm not convinced another central list is a good idea.
>
> I just added:
>
> (DanConnolly, a co-chair of the WG, is wary of attempts to centralize
> like this; I much prefer to see three examples before instituting a
> pattern, let alone a list. See ListMode in the original wiki.)

I understand your concern.  My motivation in creating this page was
not simply that one research task example. During my involvement in
the WG, I have seen dozens if not hundreds of requests for research
come over the list.  Usually the member requesting research does not
provide specific information about what they're looking for (even the
research should be focussed on problems/questions). I started this
page to help members think systematically about research: what
specific questions they sought answers to. A good case in point is
the discussion in another thread [1] about <input type-image'
usemap=''>, where research has been conducted, but not in a very
constructive way. By thinking through research in advance we will
save lots of time and effort.

My thinking was that other members might also contribute to the page
to help guide and focus the research.

Take care,
Rob

[1]: <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Aug/0547.html>