Re: Baby Steps or Backwards Steps?

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 23:56:44 +0100
To: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
CC: "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>

James Graham wrote:

> For millions of people with flickr accounts I suspect imposing a
> requirement to provide alt text for each image would quickly drive them
> to a different service that did not impose such a requirement.

Since when did flickr users work with the HTML markup, directly?

The metadata is already entered, by virtue of giving uploaded images a
title, description, tags, etc. It's the onus of the flickr backen
service (and the developers working on that) to work out which of those,
or which combination, would be the most relevant ALT attribute.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/
http://streetteam.webstandards.org/