Re: Dropping <input usemap="">

2007/8/16, Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>:
> HI Alfonso,
>
> On Aug 15, 2007, at 5:14 PM, Alfonso Martínez de Lizarrondo wrote:
>

> > 2007/8/15, Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>:
> >>
> >> The fact
> >> that we're finding some use indicates that authors are making some
> >> heroic attempt to get this to work when its just not going to happen
> >> with current implementations.
> >>

> > Not at all.
> >
> > Some people might have tried to use it, I can say if it's true or not
> > without asking them, but if you take a look at the rest of the data
> > provided in the survey at
> > <http://canvex.lazyilluminati.com/survey/2007-07-17/analyse.cgi/index>
> > you'll see that you can find about anything in the web, and means that
> > lots of people don't know what they have put in their pages.
> >
> > So in order to understand if they have tried to use something
> > correctly you have to manually test each of those pages and find out
> > if their use is correct or not, not just assume that it could be a
> > valid hypothetical use of a feature.
>
> I understand there are all sorts of crazy things on the web. But the
> point is Phillip's research show this is not implemented in any UA.
> Yet were finding authors trying to use it.

That assumption is wrong.

You don't know if anyone of them really tried to use it, or it's just
something that somehow did get inserted automatically or by someone
that was testing things.

How do you explain the existence of pages with a "name" attribute set
on table cells:
<http://canvex.lazyilluminati.com/survey/2007-07-17/analyse.cgi/tagattr/td/name>?

You need to look at the pages to know if they really tried or the page
is just a lot of tag soup.