Re: [admin] W3C Wiki migration

From: Philip Taylor (Webmaster) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:35:29 +0100
To: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
CC: public-html WG <public-html@w3.org>, Olivier Théreaux <ot@w3.org>

Karl Dubost wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The HTML WG is using the [wiki quite intensively][1].
>
> I was discussing with Olivier Théreaux (W3C) this morning about the W3C
> wiki migration. W3C wikis are operated under moinmoin. Some W3C Members
> have requested a few times to move to Mediawiki for the wiki engine.

[Snip]

I can see no objections for new Wikis to be created using Mediawiki
(if those sufficiently familiar with Wikis believe that Mediawiki
is currently the best available : I am completely infamiliar with
them, so not in a position to offer an opinion), but I can see
no benefit whatsoever in converting existing W3C Wikis if all
information (such as user accounts, modification histories, etc)
cannot automatically be carried across.  Thus I am /opposed/
to the HTML 5 Wiki being so converted unless and until there
can be a guarantee that all information can and will be
automatically carried across.

Philip Taylor