Re: [admin] W3C Wiki migration

Karl Dubost wrote:
> * Revision history for all the documents  will be *lost* in Mediawiki.
>    We would look into saving the revision history
>    somewhere in web space, for the record.
> * The user accounts will be probably *lost* too and will have to be
> recreated.

I am against the migration.

The current wiki has become familiar to those who are using it. They can
help other people begin contributing.

Moving to MediaWiki means current contributors have to learn yet another
awkward punctuation-based wiki markup language, along with new
idiosyncrasies and UI differences. Whilst they are learning about this, they
cannot be helping new contributors.

The only complaint I have about the current system is a slight lack in the
expressiveness of the markup. For example, <code> elements for inline
references to elements names and using familiar HTML elements instead of
obscure sequences of punctuation characters. But I don't consider that
significant enough for a mass migration to a whole different system,
especially when that system is much the same.

As such, I think we are better sticking with what we have and are familiar
with. But I won't block a migration if there is widespread support for it.

--
Ben 'Cerbera' Millard
Collections of Interesting Data Tables