Re: meta refresh (3.7.5.3. Pragma directives)

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 17:13:01 +0200
To: "Edward O'Connor" <hober0@gmail.com>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 17:05:30 +0200, Edward O'Connor <hober0@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> It concerns me that W3C is drafting two documents, WCAG 2 saying
>> "don't use refresh" whilst HTML5 says "here's how to use refresh".
>> It's a contradiction and it causes problems, particularly when working
>
> This doesn't strike me as a contradiction. If I may make an analogy
> that might be in poor taste, it's like parents saying "don't have
> pre-marital sex, but if you do, here's how to use a condom."
>
> People will use meta refresh. It's in use all over the web. Browsers
> will have to support it forever. HTML5 should define how it works,
> regardless of its best-practice status.

Also, if we make the feature non-conforming we should offer the people who
use it an alternative. It seems better to focus on improving user agents
by adding features that allow the user to block redirects or refreshes
 from happening. Maybe we should discourage redirects or refreshes with a
really low value though (such as zero or one), but I'm not sure how to do
that nicely.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>