Re: XForms Use Case

If I remember correctly (I was not on the XForms WG then, so don't know what
was happening internally), a lot of the "petering out" came about because
you had the deployment of the WICD path and XHTML 2.0, and with the fairly
strong rejection of the XHTML 2.0 effort on the part of the vendors, the
WebForms TF became a casualty of that.

Additionally, I think that there are a few fairly significant changes that
have taken place since then, not least being both the XQuery in a Browser
effort that I believe will have significant impact on XForms functionality,
Michael Kay's XSLT-JS that also provides a core framework for a consistent
XPath 2.0 capability, and Alain's XSLTForms, which takes a different tack
but similarly provides client support.

This raises several points:

1) XForms is increasingly looking like an application overlay that can be
run independently of specific browser implementations  ... and may, if some
of the work that Alain's been doing is any indication, even be XML
independent (e.g., can run JSON) as far as data models go.

2) Given Henri's comments that the HTML5 parser can in fact parse namespaces
declarations and terms as attributes and elements (i.e., <xf:input> is an
element with a name "xf:input", even if there is no explicit binding to the
namespace that the prefix is binding), it may very well be that the XForms
1.2 WG can adapt the specification to this modality of parsing without
significant change.

3) XPath 2.0 looks like it could be supported via JavaScript within the
browser in the very near future, which in turn makes advanced functionality
of XForms viable.

4) When the web forms/XForms TF was first set up, there was little being
done with XQuery, XML Databases were still largely running proprietary query
languages, and the number of people working with XML Databases regularly was
microscopic. That's changed pretty dramatically in the last few years, and
the XQuery vector I believe is one that's being most readily adopted.

5) Ironically, I also believe that the HTML5 forms work (and a consistent
XBL) make XForms both easier to develop and more viable from an adoption
standpoint, because it fills a niche in the growing XRX market.

However, ultimately I agree with Michael Kay on this - this should be seen
as a GOOD use case where you have XML constructs embedded within HTML5, in
order to see what can in fact be supported with the overall model.

Kurt Cagle
XML Architect
*Lockheed / US National Archives ERA Project*