Re: HTML-XML TF telcon Cancelled 23 August 2011

On 8/22/2011 11:47 AM, Norman Walsh wrote:
> I've been unable to close the loop with the TAG on this point and am
> likely to be unavailable tomorrow, so we'll give it another week to
> settle out.

I'll put it on the TAG's agenda for our call on Sept. 1. I think I've given
my personal opinion, which is: if recent email discussion has uncovered a
possibility that increased investment in XML5-like directions is likely
lead to good things, then we should:

* At least indicate that much in the report prior to requesting broader
feedback.

* Maybe find the energy in our little task force to do the next round of
investigations ourselves, and report on the results.

If, as I had originally thought, those directions were deemed unlikely to
succeed, then I agree we should publish a draft, perhaps modified with
introductory text as I had proposed at [1].

In short: I think our group was formed with some responsibility to try and
bring the stacks together, presumably by suggesting changes to either HTML
and/or XML.  If we've tried and found nothing worth doing, then we should
use text such as that at [1] to say so. If in fact there are promising
directions (such as XML5) for increased unification, then we should make
that clear, and try to start the community on the path to doing the actual
work. Other than that, I'm fine with Norm's proposal to publish for more
widespread review.

Noah

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-xml/2011Aug/0005.html