W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-wg-announce@w3.org > July to September 2012

Re: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-07-19 - issues, decisions and surveys

From: Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 09:42:22 -0700
To: public-html-wg-announce@w3.org
Message-id: <m2hat3d7o1.fsf@eoconnor.apple.com>
Hi Paul,

You wrote:

> The HTML Working Group will have its usual weekly teleconference on
>
> 2012-07-19 for up to 60 minutes from 16:00Z to 17:00Z.

The minutes are available in HTML at
http://www.w3.org/2012/07/19-html-wg-minutes.html or in plain text
below:

                       HTML Weekly Teleconference

19 Jul 2012

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-wg-announce/2012JulSep/0011.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2012/07/19-html-wg-irc

Attendees

   Present
          yang, Sam, hober, glenn, ddorwin, paulc, Plh, Mike,
          [Microsoft], eliot, Janina, Laura_Carlson

   Regrets
   Chair
          SV_MEETING_CHAIR

   Scribe
          hober

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Action items due by Thursday, July 19
         2. [6]New Issues This Week
         3. [7]Items Closed Last Week
         4. [8]Items Closing This Week
         5. [9]Items Closing Next Week
         6. [10]New Calls this week
         7. [11]New Surveys this week
         8. [12]Decisions this week
         9. [13]Other Business
        10. [14]ISSUE-204, ISSUE-30 and ISSUE-203 processing order
        11. [15]Scribe for next week
        12. [16]adjournment
     * [17]Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 19 July 2012

   <rubys> ScribeNick: hober

   <paulc> Good morning Sam

Action items due by Thursday, July 19

   paulc: there are none

New Issues This Week

   paulc: there are none
   ... There is 1 tracker request

   [18]http://w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?product=HTML+WG&keywo
   rds=TrackerRequest

     [18] http://w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?product=HTML+WG&keywords=TrackerRequest

Items Closed Last Week

   paulc: there are none

Items Closing This Week

   ISSUE-199?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-199 -- Define complete processing requirements
   for ARIA attributes -- open

   <trackbot> [19]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/199

     [19] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/199

   [20]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/004
   9.html

     [20] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0049.html

   <discussion of problems with the w3c email archives>

   <paulc>
   [21]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/009
   2.html

     [21] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0092.html

   CfC sent out 9 July; no replies

   <rubys> +1

   paulc: imminent close of ISSUE-199 accepting remaining CP

   ISSUE-200?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-200 -- Allow wrapping LEGEND (or new iLEGEND)
   in non-FIELDSET elements -- open

   <trackbot> [22]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/200

     [22] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/200

   Straw Poll for Objections closes Jul 19

   [23]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/005
   6.html

     [23] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0056.html

   paulc: I encourage WG members to reply to the survey if they
   have additional information to supply

   yang: question about <legend> issue
   ... could we combine the <legend> and <caption> element into
   one?

   paulc: survey only covers change proposals on the table
   ... there was a lot of talk about this in the past; i recommend
   you review the history of the issue before filing a new bug

   ISSUE-189?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-189 -- Prefix convention needs to be
   coordinated with IETF -- open

   <trackbot> [24]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/189

     [24] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/189

   Straw Poll for Objections closes today

   paulc: received request to stop the poll (to wait for ietf); we
   declined
   ... going forward. if the ietf makes a decision we'll revisit
   at that time
   ... survey closes today

Items Closing Next Week

   ISSUE-203?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-203 -- All Media Elements should have the
   ability to have both short and longer textual descriptions
   associated to the element -- open

   <trackbot> [25]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/203

     [25] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/203

   Call for Consensus extension closes Jul 27

   [26]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jun/013
   4.html

     [26] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jun/0134.html

   ISSUE-194?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-194 -- Provide a mechanism for associating a
   full transcript with an audio or video element. -- open

   <trackbot> [27]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/194

     [27] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/194

   Straw Poll for Objections closes Jul 26

   [28]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/007
   0.html

     [28] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0070.html

   paulc: we negotiated an extension for the ISSUE-203 survey

New Calls this week

   paulc: there are none

New Surveys this week

   ISSUE-194?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-194 -- Provide a mechanism for associating a
   full transcript with an audio or video element. -- open

   <trackbot> [29]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/194

     [29] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/194

   paulc: received a request from laura to suspend this poll so
   that issue-194 comes after issue-30

   <paulc> Paul's response:
   [30]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/011
   5.html

     [30] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0115.html

   paulc: i respond this morning on behalf of the chairs
   ... i have not yet processed laura's subsequent response
   ... i will take up her question with my co-chairs

   <rubys> I do believe that the decision on 194 will not have an
   effect on 30

   <paulc> Laura's response:
   [31]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/011
   6.html

     [31] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0116.html

Decisions this week

   ISSUE-184?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-184 -- Add a data element -- closed

   <trackbot> [32]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/184

     [32] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/184

   WG Decision:
   [33]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/009
   5.html

     [33] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0095.html

   paulc: chairs prioritized 184 because it was blocking 183
   ... decision was to not include a type system for the <data>
   element

   <paulc> CP endorsed:
   [34]http://www.w3.org/wiki/User:Tantekelik/data_element

     [34] http://www.w3.org/wiki/User:Tantekelik/data_element

   paulc: this will go into the queue of edits to be made by the
   new editors

   ISSUE-205?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-205 -- Define what author guidance and/or
   methods should be provided to those that wish to create
   accessible text editors using canvas as a rendering surface. --
   closed

   <trackbot> [35]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/205

     [35] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/205

   WG Decision:
   [36]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/010
   1.html

     [36] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0101.html

   <paulc> CP endorsed:
   [37]http://www.w3.org/wiki/No_edit_change_proposal_for_canvas_t
   ext_editing

     [37] http://www.w3.org/wiki/No_edit_change_proposal_for_canvas_text_editing

   paulc: the accepted proposal requires no changes to the spec
   ... this will be closed out as well
   ... questions?

   rubys: 184 was a no-change proposal

Other Business

   ISSUE-131?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-131 -- Should we add a caret location API to
   canvas, or is the focus API sufficient? -- open

   <trackbot> [38]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/131

     [38] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/131

   paulc:
   [39]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/010
   2.html
   ... asking rich & frank if they have any other changes they
   want to make for their CPs, given the 205 decision

     [39] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0102.html

   frankolivier: i don't have any changes to my proposal

   ISSUE-151?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-151 -- Remove WhatWG and html5.org references
   in status section of document -- open

   <trackbot> [40]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/151

     [40] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/151

   [41]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/009
   1.html

     [41] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0091.html

   paulc: doesn't require any action from the WG; the chairs will
   delay 151 until new editors are appointed & new charter
   finalized
   ... about text in status section that refers to the whatwg
   ... will take this up at the end of the next last call
   ... if you have concerns, reply to message 0091

   ISSUE-183?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-183 -- Enhance and simplify the time element
   -- open

   <trackbot> [42]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/183

     [42] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/183

   paulc: was blocked by 184

   [43]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/010
   3.html and
   [44]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/010
   5.html

     [43] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0103.html
     [44] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0105.html

   paulc: cameron is withdrawing his proposal
   ... leaves just one proposal standing
   ... we expect an immanent CfC on the remaining proposal for 183

   ISSUE-201?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-201 -- Provide canvas location and hit testing
   capability to fallback content -- open

   <trackbot> [45]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/201

     [45] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/201

   [46]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/009
   2.html

     [46] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0092.html

   paulc: asking for input from CP authors (rich, charles, ted,
   steve, frank)
   ... asking for any further changes; some outstanding questions

   <paulc> Rich's questions:
   [47]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/004
   0.html

     [47] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0040.html

   paulc: discussed this this morning on the a11y tf call
   ... trying to arrange a meeting next tuesday
   ... frank and ted have been invited

   <paulc> See request:
   [48]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2012Jul/001
   3.html

     [48] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2012Jul/0013.html

   paulc: chairs are trying to get all the cp proponents together
   ... should the two proposals remain as-is, or can we find more
   consensus between them
   ... use of lightweight objects is main remaining area of
   disagreement

   ISSUE-203?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-203 -- All Media Elements should have the
   ability to have both short and longer textual descriptions
   associated to the element -- open

   <trackbot> [49]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/203

     [49] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/203

   [50]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/009
   3.html

     [50] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0093.html

   paulc: asking ted if he'd finished making edits
   ... answered positively
   ... depends on the processing order of ISSUE-204, ISSUE-30, and
   ISSUE-203

   ISSUE-204?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-204 -- Exempt ARIA attributes from the rule
   that prohibits reference to hidden elements -- open

   <trackbot> [51]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/204

     [51] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/204

   [52]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/008
   9.html

     [52] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0089.html

   paulc: chairs have identified the two remaining proposals
   ... trying to determine if they're ready for survey
   ... deadline today for feedback

   hober: i'll reply to john's questions today

   janina: will ted be available later this afternoon

   hober: earlier pdt is better

ISSUE-204, ISSUE-30 and ISSUE-203 processing order

   [53]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/009
   4.html

     [53] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0094.html

   paulc: chairs believe there is a dependency order here
   ... will move onto issue-30 once we finish issue-204
   ... then on to 203
   ... wg participants have been asking about timetable
   ... like 184/183, and 205/131
   ... the chairs, after making a decision, will try to determine
   if there is a cascading effect
   ... will give CP authors an opportunity to update proposals
   based on decisions made
   ... chairs will not lock down specific schedule
   ... because of people's different workloads, schedules, etc.

   <Zakim> plh, you wanted to discuss a question on 201

   plh: question for frank: was your proposal merged with ted's?

   frankolivier: ted updated his proposal; i'm happy with that

   paulc: please reply on-list; will see if we can find more
   common ground next week

Scribe for next week

   <glenn> i can scribe

   paulc: i'm chairing next week as well

   plh: i can scribe

adjournment

   paulc: we are adjourned

Summary of Action Items

   [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 19 July 2012 16:42:51 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 19 February 2014 13:57:52 UTC