W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-wg-announce@w3.org > January to March 2012

{minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-29: issue progress, heartbeat publications and revert request, change proposal reviews, upcoming straw poll

From: Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:41:15 -0700
To: public-html-wg-announce@w3.org
Cc:
Message-id: <m2ty175mpw.fsf@eoconnor.apple.com>
Paul Cotton wrote:

> The HTML Working Group will have its usual weekly teleconference on
> 2012-03-29 for up to 60 minutes from 16:00Z to 17:00Z.

The minutes are available in HTML here:

           http://www.w3.org/2012/03/29-html-wg-minutes.html

or in plain text below.



   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                         HTML WG weekly telcon

29 Mar 2012

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-wg-announce/2012JanMar/0031.html

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]action items due by Thursday, March 29
         2. [5]New Issues This Week:
         3. [6]Items Closed Last Week
         4. [7]Items Closing This Week
         5. [8]Items Closing Next Week
         6. [9]New Calls this week
         7. [10]New Surveys this week
         8. [11]Decisions this week
         9. [12]Other Business
        10. [13]chair and scribe for next week
        11. [14]Adjournment
     * [15]Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________

action items due by Thursday, March 29

   paulc: there are none

New Issues This Week:

   paulc: there are none
   ... one new tracker request

   [16]http://w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?product=HTML+WG&keywo
   rds=TrackerRequest

     [16] http://w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?product=HTML+WG&keywords=TrackerRequest

Items Closed Last Week

   ISSUE-193?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-193 -- Remove CSS example that promotes
   inaccessible content -- open

   <trackbot> [17]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/193

     [17] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/193

   paulc: Call for Counter Proposals closed Mar 21

   ISSUE-194?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-194 -- Provide a mechanism for associating a
   full transcript with an audio or video element. -- open

   <trackbot> [18]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/194

     [18] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/194

   paulc: Call for Counter Proposals closed Mar 21

   ISSUE-195?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-195 -- Enhance http request generation from
   forms -- open

   <trackbot> [19]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/195

     [19] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/195

   paulc: Call for Counter Proposals closed Mar 21

   ISSUE-196?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-196 -- Define user agent http response
   handling behaviour -- open

   <trackbot> [20]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/196

     [20] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/196

   paulc: Call for Counter Proposals closed Mar 21

   ISSUE-197?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-197 -- Accept attribute should allow file
   extensions in addition to the current allowed values -- open

   <trackbot> [21]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/197

     [21] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/197

   paulc: Call for Counter Proposals closed Mar 21

   ISSUE-199?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-199 -- Define complete processing requirements
   for ARIA attributes -- open

   <trackbot> [22]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/199

     [22] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/199

   paulc: Call for Counter Proposals closed Mar 21

   ISSUE-201?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-201 -- Provide canvas location and hit testing
   capability to fallback content -- open

   <trackbot> [23]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/201

     [23] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/201

   paulc: Call for Counter Proposals closed Mar 21

   ISSUE-190?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-190 -- Replace poor coding example for figure
   with multiple images -- open

   <trackbot> [24]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/190

     [24] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/190

   paulc: Call for Consensus closed Mar 23
   ... severl 3/21 items were dealt with last week

Items Closing This Week

   ISSUE-80?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-80 -- document conformance and device
   dependent display of title attribute content -- open

   <trackbot> [25]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/80

     [25] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/80

   paulc: Call for Consensus closed Mar 28

   ISSUE-134?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-134 -- Provide tablist and tab states for menu
   and command elements respectively -- open

   <trackbot> [26]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/134

     [26] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/134

   paulc: Revise Change Proposals closed Mar 28

   ISSUE-191?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-191 -- Replace/complement <ins> and <del>
   elements by a cleaner wysiwyg-safe attribute-based solution --
   open

   <trackbot> [27]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/191

     [27] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/191

   paulc: Revise Change Proposals closed Mar 28

   ISSUE-200?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-200 -- Allow wrapping LEGEND (or new iLEGEND)
   in non-FIELDSET elements -- open

   <trackbot> [28]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/200

     [28] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/200

   paulc: Call for Counter Proposals closed Mar 28

   ISSUE-193?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-193 -- Remove CSS example that promotes
   inaccessible content -- open

   <trackbot> [29]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/193

     [29] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/193

   ISSUE-196?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-196 -- Define user agent http response
   handling behaviour -- open

   <trackbot> [30]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/196

     [30] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/196

   ISSUE-197?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-197 -- Accept attribute should allow file
   extensions in addition to the current allowed values -- open

   <trackbot> [31]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/197

     [31] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/197

   paulc: those three issues have a Call for Consensus which
   closes Mar 29 (today)
   ... chairs are meeting after this call today, we will try to
   move issues along

Items Closing Next Week

   ISSUE-203?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-203 -- All Media Elements should have the
   ability to have both short and longer textual descriptions
   associated to the element -- open

   <trackbot> [32]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/203

     [32] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/203

   paulc: Revise Change Proposals closes Apr 2

   ISSUE-198?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-198 -- Ensure innerHTML and related APIs are
   subject to the W3C patent policy -- open

   <trackbot> [33]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/198

     [33] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/198

   paulc: Call for Counter Proposals closes Apr 3

   ISSUE-194?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-194 -- Provide a mechanism for associating a
   full transcript with an audio or video element. -- open

   <trackbot> [34]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/194

     [34] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/194

   paulc: Call for Counter Proposals extension closes Apr 5

New Calls this week

   paulc: there are none

New Surveys this week

   paulc: there are none
   ... chairs expect to issue a straw poll on ISSUE-158

Decisions this week

   ISSUE-190?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-190 -- Replace poor coding example for figure
   with multiple images -- open

   <trackbot> [35]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/190

     [35] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/190

   paulc: Closed by Amicable Consensus

Other Business

   paulc: CfC to publish ten heartbeat drafts as WDs

   [36]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/024
   7.html

     [36] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/0247.html

   Scheduled to be published today

   MikeSmith: working on getting everything published
   ... about half of the documents are staged, working on the
   other half

   <MikeSmith> Zakim:
   [37]http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-html5-20120329/

     [37] http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-html5-20120329/

   MikeSmith: waiting on the webmaster to create symlinks after
   checking for broken links etc.
   ... we plan to have them all done by EOD (Eastern Time)

   paulc: your efforts are well appreciated
   ... we'll point the wg to the news item on the w3c home page
   when publication happens
   ... Revert request r7023
   ... that was done

   [38]http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/html5/2dcontext/Overvie
   w.html?rev=1.133;content-type=text%2Fhtml

     [38] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/html5/2dcontext/Overview.html?rev=1.133;content-type=text%2Fhtml

   paulc: this was blocking publication
   ... Extension request for issue 200 -
   [39]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Mar/064
   1.html
   ... extension request granted

     [39] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Mar/0641.html

   <paulc> [40]http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html

     [40] http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html

   paulc: two extension requests for issue 194

   one:
   [41]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Mar/063
   3.html

     [41] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Mar/0633.html

   two:
   [42]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Mar/065
   3.html

     [42] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Mar/0653.html

   paulc: in some cases people are writing multiple CPs and we
   should give them time away from their day jobs to do so
   ... Review of issue change proposals

   ISSUE-184?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-184 -- Add a data element -- open

   <trackbot> [43]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/184

     [43] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/184

   chair feedback:
   [44]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Mar/073
   7.html

     [44] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Mar/0737.html

   ISSUE-185?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-185 -- Drop the pubdate attribute -- open

   <trackbot> [45]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/185

     [45] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/185

   [46]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Mar/073
   8.html

     [46] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Mar/0738.html

   ISSUE-189?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-189 -- Prefix convention needs to be
   coordinated with IETF -- open

   <trackbot> [47]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/189

     [47] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/189

   [48]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Mar/073
   9.html

     [48] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Mar/0739.html

   ISSUE-204?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-204 -- Exempt ARIA attributes from the rule
   that prohibits reference to hidden elements -- open

   <trackbot> [49]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/204

     [49] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/204

   early chair feedback on 204:
   [50]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Mar/076
   6.html

     [50] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Mar/0766.html

   paulc: since we already had 2 CPs, we provided early feedback
   ... feedback was taken up by the a11y TF on their call today
   ... reqested revisions to the counter proposal
   ... Upcoming straw poll for objections for ISSUE-158

   ISSUE-158?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-158 -- HTML4's content-model for <object>
   should continue -- open

   <trackbot> [51]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/158

     [51] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/158

   paulc: chairs sent out notification to CP authors
   ... minor changes made to one of the CPs
   ... we'll be issuing a straw poll next week
   ... should go out on monday
   ... polls last for one week
   ... chairs are not counting votes; looking for arguments
   against the positions taken
   ... no need to +1 after an argument has been put forward
   ... any other business?

   tantek_: question about CP iteration process
   ... CP authors are given a chance to iterate based on chair
   feedback
   ... are there any deadlines or is it based on when the chairs
   decide to go to a poll?

   paulc: there isn't a fixed set of rules; chairs are flexible

   <paulc> ISSUE-204 CP review:
   [52]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Mar/076
   6.html

     [52] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Mar/0766.html

   paulc: our feedback here was fairly strong

   <paulc> "Unless this flaw is corrected by April 18th, the
   chairs will not accept the ARIA_CORTHCWSR proposal, and will
   instead proceed to a call for consensus on the
   AllowAriaReferHidden proposal."

   paulc: gave fixed date for a change which would cause us to
   accept the CP
   ... in some cases we provide editorial feedback, or make
   suggestions to strengthen the case made
   ... in other cases we're giving dates for going to survey
   ... we're trying to be as explicit as possible

   <rubys> We gave dates for ISSUE-134, ISSUE-191, and ISSUE-203.
   We have yet to give dates on ISSUE-183, ISSUE-184, ISSUE-185,
   ISSUE-189.

   paulc: if we give a deadline and it's unreasonable due to your
   other work or other relevant factors, you should respond right
   away

   tantek_: followup question
   ... chairs said (204 feedback) "this statement must be backed
   up with evidence"
   ... my cp for drop-pubdate asserts that there is sufficient
   hatom adoption
   ... would referring to, say, default wordpress templates,
   wordpress.com, be sufficient?

   paulc: that's exactly the kind of evidence we're looking for
   ... if someone says "this feature isn't implemented in any
   browsers" and someone else says "this is implemented in two
   browsers", need evidence to back up claims
   ... if the counter proposal provides contrary evidence, you may
   want to raise the bar of your own data

   tantek_: i'm still trying to acheive wider consensus, it's not
   clear if i'll be able to acheive this

   paulc: the fewer things we need to take to straw polls, the
   better

   glenn: what is the status on the content encryption task force?

   paulc: it's in my work queue
   ... proposed plan to my co-chairs and wg
   ... now that the heartbeat drafts are being published, this is
   back at the top of my queue
   ... you'll probably see an announcement next week

chair and scribe for next week

   <Zakim> glenn, you wanted to discuss encrypted media tf

   paulc: rubys will chair next week
   ... no volunteers to scribe

Adjournment

   [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 29 March 2012 18:09:19 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 19 February 2014 13:57:52 UTC