W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-media@w3.org > November 2015

{minutes} HTML WG media telecon 2015-11-10 - MSE heartbeat, issue status, CR test results and V.Next CfCs

From: Joe Steele <steele@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 17:03:23 +0000
To: "public-html-media@w3.org" <public-html-media@w3.org>
Message-ID: <4C1B3145-3F85-4C4A-9558-B76CF63ED10A@adobe.com>
http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-html-media-minutes.html <http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-html-media-minutes.html>

Joe Steele

 <http://www.w3.org/>
HTML Media Task Force Teleconference

10 Nov 2015

Agenda <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2015Nov/0014.html>
See also: IRC log <http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-html-media-irc>
Attendees <>
Present
paulc, jdsmith, plh, davide, MattWolenetz, Joe, joesteele, markw
Regrets
Chair
paulc
Scribe
joesteele
Contents

Topics <http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-html-media-minutes.html#agenda>
Status of MSE heartbeat <http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-html-media-minutes.html#item01>
MattWolenetz <http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-html-media-minutes.html#item02>
Recent new MSE bugs and issues (4) <http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-html-media-minutes.html#item03>
ISSUE 10 <http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-html-media-minutes.html#item04>
ISSUE 14 <http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-html-media-minutes.html#item05>
ISSUE-15 <http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-html-media-minutes.html#item06>
ISSUE-24 <http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-html-media-minutes.html#item07>
CFCs on V.Next features <http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-html-media-minutes.html#item08>
Test Suite Status <http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-html-media-minutes.html#item09>
next meeting <http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-html-media-minutes.html#item10>
Summary of Action Items <http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-html-media-minutes.html#ActionSummary>
<trackbot> Date: 10 November 2015
<scribe> scribe: joesteele
<paulc> Chair: paulc
<paulc> Scribe: joesteele
Status of MSE heartbeat

<paulc> ACTION-98?
<trackbot> ACTION-98 -- Jerry Smith to Publish heartbeat by nov 15 for mse -- due 2015-11-15 -- OPEN
<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/98 <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/98>
paulc: Jerry you have ACTION-98 to get us ready — please give us status. What are the editors planning?
jdsmith: haven’t sorted which issues we want to pickup for the heartbeat, but have talked to PLH about how to proceed
… he needs a summary of the changes since the last heartbeat
plh: I need that list to go to the director for approval — if not substantive changes we don't need approval
jdsmith: how is substantive changes defined?
plh: no formal definition — anything not editorial
jdsmith: I will make a pass since its been a while
MattWolenetz: I can help you Jerry
paulc: does MSE have a changelog where we have been tracking?
MattWolenetz: all the changes I have made are in there
jdsmith: listed by issue
paulc: even if there arent substantive changes, if we had a section that directed readers to that list of items and ptrs to the most important that would be useful
jdsmith: I don’t think any are substantive
<paulc> TR page change log: http://www.w3.org/TR/media-source/#revision-history <http://www.w3.org/TR/media-source/#revision-history>
<jdsmith> https://w3c.github.io/media-source/#revision-history <https://w3c.github.io/media-source/#revision-history>
paulc: does somone have link to the editors draft?
… so lets move on to the ones you need to do
… can just point the reader to the recent history
<paulc> MSE issues ready for implementation (13): https://github.com/w3c/media-source/labels/needs%20implementation <https://github.com/w3c/media-source/labels/needs%20implementation>
… so will we go ahead with the heartbeat? or do the editors feel that one or more of the outstanding items should be included?
… we can always publish right away and then publish again later
MattWolenetz: would prefer to publish frequently
paulc: given that we have 6 weeks — lets publish as quickly as we can
… there is a moratorium during US Thanksgiving week?
plh: if you give them to me by Thursday I can publish this week
paulc: Ok we will try to give to you today
<plh> http://services.w3.org/htmldiff?doc1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FTR%2Fmedia-source%2F&doc2=https%3A%2F%2Fw3c.github.io%2Fmedia-source%2F <http://services.w3.org/htmldiff?doc1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FTR%2Fmedia-source%2F&doc2=https%3A%2F%2Fw3c.github.io%2Fmedia-source%2F>
plh: I don’t believe there are substantive changes either
... just one step in an algorithm
MattWolenetz: there are more bugs like that on the docket for implementation
… is substantive something that would put us back to last call?
plh: no — just look at the link I gave you
… I don’t see any changes there
… just give me the go ahead and I will do the rest
MattWolenetz: one piece that there is no issue tracking is that some references are wrong in the document — in the ReSpec script
… might not be in the editors draft but in the previous heartbeat
… we are still operating under the old process
plh: I will look into it
… do we want to include the registries at the same time?
paulc: don’t think there have been any changes at all there
… can editors confirm?
jdsmith: no changes I know of
... are you talking about the link to the policy?
MattWolenetz: yes I think we are operating under the older policy — the editors draft is incorrect about the process
<paulc> Resolved by the Media TF to publish an MSE update ASAP and possibly this week. No changes have been made to the registries. The published document needs to process to the old W3C Process.
plh: are we under the latest process? or 2014?
<paulc> ReSpec puts in a link to the 2014 process but MSE is under the old process.
paulc: ReSpec puts in a link to the 2014 process but MSE is under the old process
plh: I will fix
paulc: can Matt and Jerry get the information to PLH be EOD?
jdsmith: I think he should have the go ahead
<paulc> We are ready to go to publish the document.
plh: you will get an email from me if there are issues
MattWolenetz: the links to the registry are all from March of this year — no update needed
 <><plh> ACTION: plh to publish the heartbeat [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-html-media-minutes.html#action01] <http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-html-media-minutes.html#action01]>
<trackbot> Created ACTION-107 - Publish the heartbeat [on Philippe Le Hégaret - due 2015-11-17].
plh: I think we can close action-98 at this point
<paulc> close ACTION-98
<trackbot> Closed ACTION-98.
paulc: won’t go through the 13 issues the editors need to implement, but make sure they notice pull request 9 is anchored on bug 2933
jdsmith: believe that is done
paulc: does not seem to be marked as done
MattWolenetz: says that it is merged and closed but no timestamp
MattWolenetz

Recent new MSE bugs and issues (4)

paulc: 3 new issue since the F2F
... have you looked at 35, 36 and 37 yet?
MattWolenetz: have not looked yet
paulc: ok editors — will take a pass over issues 35-37 and respond in the issues
<paulc> https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/35 <https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/35>
https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/35 <https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/35>
https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/36 <https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/36>
https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/37 <https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/37>
ISSUE 10

<paulc> https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/10 <https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/10>
<paulc> https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/14 <https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/14>
paulc: have not seen progress — where do we stand?
<paulc> https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/15 <https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/15>
<paulc> https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/24 <https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/24>
<paulc> ISSUE-10 - createObjectURL() not up-to-date with File API (Matt)
MattWolenetz: there is not an immediate answer, looks like it would be a breaking change
<paulc> F2F discussion: http://www.w3.org/2015/10/29-html-media-minutes.html#item04 <http://www.w3.org/2015/10/29-html-media-minutes.html#item04>
paulc: looks like we went offline after this discussion — no followup
MattWolenetz: I put something in the actual issue — need to figure out what to do with the issue
… think it would be a breaking change as current apps assume auto-revocation
… if we change the implementation could break those apps
paulc: could editors propose what they would like to do?
… we can get feedback
jdsmith: I assume we must line up with the latest spec
… can we keep an obsolete definition?
paulc: PLH were you in the room for this discussion? do you have an opinion?
plh: …
... I can take a look offline
paulc: let’s get advice from the team here then
… PLH if you can respond on the bug that would help
ISSUE 14

https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/14 <https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/14>
paulc: if we can define a stable reference to the new API we can proceed
MattWolenetz: we need to get that stable reference from Dominik — something we can rely on
… this is in the needs followup/need implementation limbo
paulc: beleiebe the new technical implementation refers to the stable stream API
MattWolenetz: need to make sure stuff confirms to the new stable reference
<paulc> Next: https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/15 <https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/15>
ISSUE-15

paulc: Matt you have an action on this
<paulc> https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/15 <https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/15>
<paulc> ACTION-99?
<trackbot> ACTION-99 -- Paul Cotton to Action mattwolenetz to split bug27242 into issues -- due 2015-11-05 -- OPEN
<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/99 <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/99>
MattWolenetz: have a question about that
… for Jerry around which example was being referred to with the long frame display
jdsmith: I was having trouble recalling at the F2F I can comment in the issue
MattWolenetz: 3 issues were identified in one issue — I will split out 2 of the issues and comment on the original bug
… Jerry will comment on the original bug
ISSUE-24

MattWolenetz: this is pending the impleemntaiont of issue-11 to look for side effects
https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/24 <https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/24>
paulc: so 11 is at the front of the to be implemented list
MattWolenetz: in addition to following up on appendStreams
CFCs on V.Next features

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2015Nov/0012.html <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2015Nov/0012.html>
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2015Nov/0013.html <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2015Nov/0013.html>
MattWolenetz: I saw the CFC yesterday
paulc: these close next Monday
… there are actually 4 issues marked as feature requests
… we dealt with ISSUE-14 earlier
… ISSUE-7 the BMFF byte stream format should support layered encodings is marked a s afeature request done on Sept 10th
… have we ever confirmed with Jerry or Matt?
MattWolenetz: in the advance telecom prior to F2F we went over all of these issues
… this one seems to be V.Next and we marked it as such at the time
… does not support scalable codecs
… was never meant to be v1
… Mark had also made this request on behalf of Google — we should have clarified that up front
… since it is filed, in my opinion basd on previous discussions, this doesnt appear to be something we can do in V1
… without breaking things
paulc: no further action for now then
… trying to get out of CR and want to clean up things this might be resolved at that time
markw: what Matt says is correct — this should be V.Next
Test Suite Status

http://www.w3.org/2015/10/29-html-media-minutes.html#item17 <http://www.w3.org/2015/10/29-html-media-minutes.html#item17>
paulc: when should we see progress on this?
MattWolenetz: driving down “needs implementation” issues right now
paulc: any other questions on this?
next meeting

… Tuesday before the USA holiday?
<paulc> Tue Nov 24th
… not hearing any objections
paulc: that seems like it for today
… discuss EME in two weeks
rrsagent: draft minutes
: rrsagent, draft minutes
Summary of Action Items <>[NEW] ACTION: plh to publish the heartbeat [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-html-media-minutes.html#action01 <http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-html-media-minutes.html#action01>]

[End of minutes]
Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl <http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm> version 1.140 (CVS log <http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/>)
$Date: 2015/11/10 17:01:34 $


Received on Tuesday, 10 November 2015 17:03:57 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 10 November 2015 17:03:58 UTC