RE: XHTML Integration Sets

From: Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 20:05:11 -0500
To: "'Daniel Glazman'" <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, "'Peter Saint-Andre'" <stpeter@jabber.org>
Cc: <public-html-mail@w3.org>

Daniel Glazman wrote:
> 5. HTML in email is seen by some as a security
> threat

Just a thought, but it occurs to me that no matter what is done people will
still think that "HTML" is a security threat. This is much like how C++/C#
developers still dis VB.NET developers even though VB.NET is no longer basic
nor is it for beginners or without the same robustness features of C#.

What I'm suggesting is that a new name might make a world of difference in
creating acceptance. Technical concerns would be identical to what you've
already identified, i.e. a safe subset of HTML even referencing HTML specs,
but a different name would allow it to start fresh and avoid the stigma that
HTML has.  For example, something like

	EPML - "Email Presentational Markup Language"

I am of course ignoring that it would be more broadly applicable than just
email, but email would be its driver. FWIW?

--
-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/