Re: HTML 5 ...

From: T.J. Crowder <tj@crowdersoftware.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 10:16:55 +0100
To: Barry Kintner <barry@a2zcomputerworks.com>
Cc: public-html-comments@w3.org
Hi,

On 13 October 2011 20:35, Barry Kintner <barry@a2zcomputerworks.com> wrote:

> Good day -
>
> -- Please do not drop recognition of older (simpler) HTML vocabulary.

Can you be a bit more specific? You're not giving people much to work with.
:-) Are you talking about `font`? `center`? What?

> I find far too many people are over-using CSS etc - not really
> knowing or understanding the needs of the visitor. I have even downloaded a
> page with a CSS file over 300k for a web page of 20k - this is
> a practice that is un-acceptable.

Yes, sometimes people mis-use CSS; other times they don't. That doesn't
really have anything to do with the HTML5 specification, though, as far as I
can see.

> -- I find I've been able to re-create business web pages - with all
> functionality retained - that are 60-90% smaller in file size, by using
> so-called 'older' standards. Retain all the old codes that had been usable
> before (from 3.2-4.x).

Again, like what? Which ones do you need? The people on the list can
probably respond helpfully if you call out which specific bits you're
concerned about.

If you're really interested in keeping page size down (a worthy goal), and
if you haven't already seen it, you might also be interested in Section
8.1.2.4 ("Optional Tags" -
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/syntax.html#optional-tags). Quite a number of
start and end tags are optional.

FWIW,