Re: Can accessing the device microphone and camera be added to HTML5?

@Ian:

On 3 May 2010 23:38, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

>  I'm arguing that HTML (not HTML5, just HTML) should be in a state of

constant improvement

I can't imagine anyone is arguing against that. It's just that this
statement:

On 2 May 2010 22:11, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

>  I think a better solution would be to have a continuous process of adding

features and fixing bugs, with no frozen versions.

...seemed to suggest some kind of ever-continuing process without
milestones. IMHO, not having milestones is a great way to prevent a project
from succeeding. Very nearly the first task of a project manager (whether on
a software project or a skyscraper construction project) is to identify the
milestones for the project. Milestones help keep the team focussed. In the
case of specification, it seems to me -- and like Jock I'm looking at this
from the outside (although time permitting I'd like to change that) -- that
team is a herd of cats, so the more one can do to focus them on a goal, the
better.

On 3 May 2010 02:35, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> Browsers don't generally claim to support a particular version, unless

they're lying.

That's an interesting statement. But I'm only slightly interested in what
vendors say (ex: http://samples.msdn.microsoft.com/ietestcenter/); I'm much
more interested in what external testing reveals (ex:
http://www.codedread.com/svg-support.php), and having milestones (like HTML
5.0, HTML 5.1, CSS3 Selectors, SVG 1.1, etc.) provides an invaluable means
of communicating that information usefully.

On 2 May 2010 22:11, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> > and then start work on HTML 5.1, or HTML 6, or HTML Codename Betty and

> Veronica, or whatever it should be called next.

> That's already started.

Are you referring to the WHATWG spec? (http://www.whatwg.org/specs/) Seems
like it, from the statement on that page that "... the WHATWG HTML
specification is the next generation of the language, while HTML5 is a more
limited subset with a narrower scope."

@Jock:

On 2 May 2010 21:10, Jock Murphy <jockm@stufflabs.com> wrote:

> The idea of a sandboxed file store, and the ability to work with files (I
> would love to be able to know the modification date of the file I may be
> uploading, or working with locally, as an example)

Check out the File API: http://www.w3.org/TR/file-upload/
http://www.w3.org/TR/file-writer-api/ Very exciting stuff. The read stuff
(at least) is supported in Firefox 3.6 and I believe it's coming soon to
Chrome; don't know about the others.

On 2 May 2010 22:13, Jock Murphy <jockm@stufflabs.com> wrote:

> Sadly as I look at the timeline shown on http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/ it
> looks like we are talking next year at the earliest that we might see
> adoption of these -- desperately needed -- enhancements.

Adoption is racing ahead of spec completion. Opera, Safari, Chrome, Firefox,
and IE (yes, really) are all moving forward with HTML5 features, despite the
specification still being a work in progress. I'm not saying spec completion
isn't important, just that adoption isn't being prevented.

@All:

Briefly: I'd like to send a huge "thank you" to everyone who's gotten HTML5
to this point. It's such a massive leap forward, both in terms of what's
specified and in terms of the quality of the specification. It feels to me
like a "reboot" of the language, and it needed rebooting.
--
T.J. Crowder
Independent Software Consultant