Re: Can accessing the device microphone and camera be added to HTML5?

At 06:43 PM 5/3/2010, Ian Hickson wrote:
>You've never been able to target a specific version of HTML, so I don't
>think that not having specific versions changes this at all.

Not having had a specific target has always been a significant problem with HTML (and CSS), just ask any web developer.  The attached graphic bespeaks the profound frustration.  The fact we're still suffering fall-out from the browser wars, and the very existence of IE6 in particular, is evidence of the problem of not having had identifiable (standard) versions.

>> Implementors MUST work together to assure consistent behaviors and
>> identify the ambiguous and less-than-useful areas of the specification.
>> Only after hands-on, head-to-head, "bake-offs" to verify "realistic and
>> useful" status has been obtained should the spec be deemed "standard."
>
>I agree. All I'm saying is that this should happen on a section-by-section
>basis rather than on the basis of the whole spec or specs.

And I can only wish that there were an identifiable set of features (sections) that W3C would deem as HTML v5.0 (or whatever), and that all the browser vendors would agree on and claim as a base that they support consistently.

Regards,
bob quinn