Re: Can accessing the device microphone and camera be added to HTML5?

From: Jock Murphy <jockm@stufflabs.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 07:55:50 -0700
To: public-html-comments@w3.org
@T.J.

> On 2 May 2010 22:13, Jock Murphy <jockm@stufflabs.com> wrote:
>
>  Sadly as I look at the timeline shown on http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/ it
>> looks like we are talking next year at the earliest that we might see
>> adoption of these -- desperately needed -- enhancements.
>

> Adoption is racing ahead of spec completion. Opera, Safari, Chrome,
> Firefox, and IE (yes, really) are all moving forward with HTML5 features,
> despite the specification still being a work in progress. I'm not saying
> spec completion isn't important, just that adoption isn't being prevented.

Not when it comes to the media capture APIs I am afraid, which is much of
what I was referring to in that comment (since that was what got this thread
started, though I admit I was insufficiently clear).  We *just* got a first
draft, there is no Last Call date in site (which isn't shocking considering
how new it is), and I am hard pressed to find any browser support in a quick
and dirty search.

So I don't think I am out of line in saying that 2011 is the earliest we
will see the kind of adoption needed for engineers to go out on a limb and
start using it. Especially in the mobile space where I personally need it
most)

As always I very much want to be proved wrong...