Re: Postscript-/TTF in HTML 5?

From: Eduard Pascual <herenvardo@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 17:21:24 +0200
To: Joerg Anders <jan@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de>
Cc: public-html-comments@w3.org
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Joerg Anders
<jan@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I need a possibility to present musical scores on web pages.
> Thus, I need symbols, like clefs, notes, a.s.o.
>
> On possibility is certainly SVG. But I was told HTML-5 would
> allow to place my own PostScript font or TrueType font somewhere
> which contains these musical symbols and to bring the browser to render
> this fonts.
>
> Is that true? If never read about. If yes: please give me
> a pointer to read about. If not: Any other suggestions
> (apart from Flash!)?

Strictly speaking, no, it's not true (or rather, it's not *correct*).
Fonts are a presentation issue and thus it's a concern for CSS rather
than for HTML. What you are looking for is handled by CSS3's Fonts
module: http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work#fonts

Both HTML5 and CSS3 are being used together to build the most modern
and fancy websites (and, as a matter of fact, there is a significant
overlap of the groups working on each); but they are still different
things that deal with different needs.

Regards,
Eduard Pascual

PS: btw, this list is more aimed towards spec feedback and spec
development. For document authoring questions and concerns, there are
better resources out there, most prominently
http://www.whatwg.org/mailing-list#help for HTML5 and
news:comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets for CSS. Posting your
questions at the right place will help you get it answered with
greater speed and better accuracy ;-)