Re: HTML 5 media type spec and HTML 2, 3.2, 4.x usage

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 23:31 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Dan Connolly wrote:
> > >
> > > Is this a new problem with the text/html registration in HTML5, or is
> > > this a long-standing problem?
> >
> > It wasn't a problem at all before HTML 5, because each spec for
> > text/html pretty much said "all existing HTML standards are fine".
>
> Could you point to the text in the current text/html RFC that does this,
> so that I could use that same text in HTML5?

Umm... no, not exactly; my memory was buggy; what is says is:

Published specification:
      The text/html media type is now defined by W3C Recommendations;
      the latest published version is [HTML401].  In addition, [XHTML1]
      defines a profile of use of XHTML which is compatible with HTML
      4.01 and which may also be labeled as text/html.
 -- http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2854.txt

> Also, do we want to make pages that trigger quirks mode be conforming,
> even if they used to be? Similarly, do we keep pages that use known-bad
> features like <font> conforming if they use older DOCTYPEs? Or do we want
> to (retroactively) make such pages less conforming, on the basis that it
> was a mistake to make them conforming in the first place, or on the basis
> that we know better now?

Good questions. I *think* I'm satisfied with just the few
"obsolete permitted DOCTYPE"s.

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E